Search

Trying Joost from Samarinda, Indonesia

Affected by the hype of the next generation TV called Joost, I decided to look over the website and see what I can get. First impression was bad, I have to get an invitation from other person to be able to try the beta version. Shoot... who will be able to give me one? Who else to turn to? Google of course... I search for Joost invitation and I get many links providing invitation, mostly from blogs. Surprisingly, from a hidden link inside Joost.com that you can't find from Joost front page, I found a page that you can get the invitation instantly by typing your email address and woosh I got invited... fool...

Joost need to be installed in your PC, just like IBM Second Live or Google Earth. I installed it, and its said that my memory was not enough, Joost need 512 MB while I only have 190 MB. But it said I can still proceed and try it. Yes, the installation was completed even though I got less memory than required.



Then came the showdown. Using the ADSL Telkom Speedy, a nation wide ISP promised to deliver 384 Kbps, I start to use Joost, a full screen TV with crisp picture, unlike the previous "fake TV" on PC the can only provide blurred picture in a very tine screen. The interface was great, very Mac-like design. Lots af channels already available, including CNN that I tried.

But... but... the picture failed to stream smoothly... I think, the biggest problem might be my Internet connection. The application ran beautifully, but the picture stream is bad. Can't watch it at all. And... I quit trying, but not yet uninstalling the apps yet. Wanna try using it at night when usually the connection is slightly better.

Well, from a glimpse of Joost that I just used, I really think that this concept would go all the way and eventually will shape the future of TV. Let's see...

Post a Comment

0 Comments