Search

Free Email Goes Corporate

Have you ever been taken down by your corporate email? I have... I used my student university's email service for 2 years, I relied on it heavily. When I graduated, I was too lazy to update my profile in numerous websites that I've been signed up using my formal email. Then... bang... I got a lot of problems in accessing my accounts in many important sites.

I had a terrible problem with my domain registrar where I owned several important Internet domains that is still running at that time. I could not make any changes, they were then taken out from me simply because my university email has been terminated and the registrar could not confirm that the domain names were mine. Then came the problem with my eBay account, it was a great account, many great positive comments about me. But it's gone... Talking to the mail admin guys in campus while I was far away? Forget it...

So, I turned to Gmail several years ago, still beta though, and I might be using it for the rest of my life. I copy some good points I just read on the Net.

Owen Thomas, writes at Business 2.0 Magazine about this phenomenon titled "E-mail rebels at work". Enjoy it and do turn to Gmail... :-)

Employees aren't just using Gmail or Hotmail to goof off on the company dime anymore. Increasingly, they're using webmail services to do their jobs.

For years, I had a colleague who adamantly refused to use our corporate e-mail. His coworkers didn't like the nuisance of having to remember to send messages to his personal account.

But I could hardly blame him for his one-man revolt: In five years, we went through three back-end systems and four e-mail clients. By holding out, he saved countless hours having to learn new software and deal with the inevitable glitches.

Not all corporate IT departments are likely to turn a blind eye to such obstinacy. But there's a quiet rebellion afoot against corporate e-mail, with employees using instant messaging and Web-based e-mail systems from Yahoo, Google, Microsoft, among others, to circumvent annoying policies and work more efficiently.

And a few companies, like videogame developer RedOctane, are adopting free webmail as their corporate messenger.

Then there's the simple fact that consumer-oriented e-mail and IM are often better than the corporate systems they replace. Google, for example, offers 2-gigabyte mailboxes - ten times larger than those available to most corporate users.

Post a Comment

0 Comments